Hello from Bangalore

Thought I would drop you all a line from my new email address which is . It's been a week here for me in the "garden city" (or should I say "pub city") and I have been getting settled in both with work and trying to make head or tail (or rather north/south) of the city. So far I have had both good and the usual experiences (I won't say bad since this is what we really expect to face). The work place is very nice in the downtown center of the city where all the pubs are also located (and no I haven't been to one yet during office hours :-). The people are all good to work with as well.

The first thing I decided to do was to get a cell phone. Thinking I will get a pre-paid SIM card I went to a store to get one. But they refused to get me one without proof of a local residence address. Apparently there was a Govt. circular last week making this mandatory. Wow! We are actually following government guidelines to the T. I am both glad and slightly miffed with this. No longer you can get things done quickly with a wink and slap, but I am glad that we Indians are following the rules (not on the roads though). So it took me 5 days to get a cell phone that I can now use anywhere in the world to call anywhere in the world. It really feels good to be connected again.

Now I am looking at schools for Ishika and flats for us. Again I do have to deal with the usual "call u in 5 minutes sir" and waiting for 2 hours before I call back. But that's India so I am getting used to it and where ever possible trying to push a need for efficiency. But all in all work is very exciting. In fact couple people I met we were discussing how professional growth in India is at a far rapid pace than in the US. You really get to experience a larger side of the business aspects than I did in the specialized jobs in the US. This is really challenging and motivating.

I still have to explore the city. Being late spring, early summer the Gulmohar trees are in full bloom and they are a beautiful sight (I havent' seen these trees for don't know how many years). But it is a good sight distraction from the increasing traffic and noise. Like I had been warned either the traffic is terrible or the roads are completely broken down in several places and the average speed would drop down to 7-8 kph. But apart from this there seems to be a lot to do in the city. I did try to go to a pub here. But apparently (again due to Govt regulations) they close down at 11pm sharp. I think maybe next time I will try to go earlier.

Anyways thought I would drop you all a line but it turned into several paras. Still I am quite charged though I do miss you all here and can't wait for Sima and the kids to be here. There is a lot of excitement in this city and so many companies that it is truly a globalized center (as mentioned in the world is flat book). Certainly lot of opportunities and especially many interesting people to meet. I have already started networking. I will continue to give report of the city and my experiences in coming emails.

OK Then Au Revoir (I think as the Kotharis would say in French) or as we say in India Phir Milenge

Signing off

Chintan

Comments

Popular Posts